Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What happens in Vegas

Adventure awaits at every step! After spending the weekend with my family in Moab, (DON'T WORRY a post about Moab is in on the drawing board. I know you were all freaking out for a sec) I got home late Monday night. On Wednesday I called my friend Ryan and left a message saying if he ever wants to go on a spontaneous adventure to call me up. Spontaneous adventures with Ryan are seriously the best! He called me back just a few minutes later, without even listening to my message and asked if I wanted to join his Ragnar Team and go to Vegas on Friday! Spontaneous adventure I think yes!!!

For those of you who don't know what Ragnar is, it's a 12 person running team that goes for 187 miles. There are usually 2 different vans that stay separate. Each person runs a leg until all 6 people in that van have ran, and then you get to sleep for a few hours while the other van runs their legs. Then you do it all over again! Twice more timezzz! It's a grand time with a bunch of crazy runners that are all friendly and dress weird.

Each van has 6 people in it and you only see the other van at hand-offs with the 6th and 7th person, and with the 12th and 1st person. Two of the people on our team work for Ragnar, so that's how we got the sweet and last minute hook-up. Our team was put together of random people who are somehow connected. We started out as strangers and ended the trip having become great friends.

I'll introduce you to my team/van:

Lauren- works for Ragnar managing the big sponsors. She's legit!
Brady- Lauren's cousin who lives in Vegas
Tiff- Brady's girlfriend from BYU
Ryan- Friends with one of Lauren's coworkers, volunteered in D.C. at another Ragnar a few weeks ago
Spencer- Ryan's roommate, also helped out in D.C.

These guys are awesome, genuine people! At first I was a little nervous thinking,"Spending 2 days in a [stinky] van with people I don't know...?" but then I thought, "Spontaneous adventure with Ryan and 4 other cool cats who like to do stupid running things? DONE DEAL!" I'm so glad I went!


Ryan getting ready for his early morning run

Tiff, Brady, Lauren, Spence

Spence modeling his $2 shorts from shopko



LOVE these two boys! Entertainment for daysssss. I want to be their best friend because they are just so wonderful and fun to be around. They sing to  Josh Groban word for word, they helped a crazy lady in the middle of the night on the freeway in the middle of nowhere, they run fast, obviously they've got hot bods, and they both have the best laughs!
WINWINWINWIN





Lake Mead

Surprisingly, I learned a lot from this little race. I didn't prepare well enough for my last leg (no good food and not nearly enough water) and that ultimately put me in an experience I've never been through before. It was really pretty crazy and scary, but from that I strengthened my testimony. A LOT. I know that Heavenly Father is looking out for us through everything, even the little things. I know that prayers are heard and angels are about us, both seen and unseen. I'm thankful I had this opportunity to surround myself with great people doing something I love. I am thankful for the little tender mercies and the not-so-little tender mercies from God. He is there, always.

As far as details with my freaky accident mentioned above...what happened in Vegas, sure is staying in Vegas.


In other news, I enter the MTC in 28 days. HOLY COW I'M FREAKING OUT.... THAT IS SO SOON!! yet so very much far far far far away. Breathe.

PPS: In case you were wondering, I used the phrase "spontaneous adventure" 5 times and so I looked up other words to use instead... but decided against it. However, I learned "instinctive" is a synonym of "spontaneous" which I think is really quite comical. Whenever I do something spontaneous usually my instincts are screaming at me to do anything BUT that. Cool story hansel.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment